Monty’s Restaurant & Wine Bar
Monty’s is an English-style Portsmouth-based restaurant which fuses the mouthwatering cuisine of the UK with an international twist, presenting British classics in an exciting way.
Monty’s was opened in February 2016 by co-founders Jonathan Montgomery and Darren Swann. Situated a stone’s throw away from the sea in Southsea’s independent high street Castle Road, Monty’s works with the finest local suppliers in Portsmouth to ensure the freshest and highest-quality ingredients, food, and drink.
Monty’s also sourced locally-made furniture, art, and signage for the restaurant’s décor, creating a beautifully inviting interior.
Tom Lefevre, the executive head chef at Monty’s, said: “We are passionate about the changing seasons and fresh foods that are in tune with the land. I love producing a menu with seasonal changes on a monthly basis.
“Traditionally, the best cuisine for any region was based on local produce that is available at a particular time of year. Our own traditions of cooking followed the cycles of the year, recognising that the freshest produce makes the best ingredients and for this reason a truly seasonal cuisine is our goal at Monty’s.
“We are proud of the range and quality of locally sourced produce available in Hampshire and we are working with the best farmers and producers to deliver a cuisine that reflects the best our country has to offer.
“The restaurant menu will vary every month and will be based on seasonal local produce.” The Monty’s menu includes many delicious dishes including:
- Smoked ham hock terrine with crispy quails and a homemade barbecue sauce
- Truffled Sussex goat’s cheese with baked thyme apple and roast squash finished with sweet pea shoots and apple crisps
- Chilli- and mint-braised shin of beef with confit garlic mash potato and treacle-baked carrots
- 10oz 35 day-aged ribeye steak served with roast field mushrooms, garlic, and rosemary plum tomatoes
- Whole-roast south coast dab served with citrus-marinated crayfish and a shaved fennel and potato salad
- Smoked mozzarella, potato, and candied lemon ravioli served in rich Jerusalem artichoke and garlic sauce
- The dessert menu boasts sweet delicacies such as prune and almond bakewell tart with rich creme anglaise, and peanut butter duck egg crème brûlée.
Among the local food and drink suppliers with whom Monty’s have partnered are:
- Bransbury Park Butchers, a family business which has been known for its top-quality meat since 1988
- Owton’s, a family business who have been farming on Chalcroft Farm for over 600 years, with the earliest known records dating back to 1257
- Harvest Fine Foods, who pride themselves in artisan produce and food and top-quality ingredients
Mooka, a Petersfield-based producer of gelati and sorbet, working in small batches using classic Italian methods and natural ingredients
- Johnson’s Fish, Portsmouth’s original fish market, renowned for buying and selling quality fresh fish and shellfish since 1975
- Cheese & Chutney of Emsworth, known for their cheeses, charcuterie, chutneys, and crackers
Tolchards, the south of England’s leading drinks distributor, offering everything from the latest in craft beers to the trendiest gins on the market